With modern technology gradually integrating the market, more and more payment methods are seeing light and getting users' impressions day by day.
Carrier billing is one of the growing payment methods in the market right now.
In fact, according to Bango Investors, the direct carrier billing market size was estimated at $28.90 billion in 2020 and is projected to reach $68.17 billion by 2028.
As a matter of fact, according to PYMNTS.com, direct carrier billing offers lower payout rates than card-based payments.
Considering this, most websites (especially those operating in undeveloped and developing areas) would want to attract more customers to their marketplace by accepting carrier billing as a payment method.
Thankfully, there are a couple of websites that have considered this interest for customers and are now accepting carrier billing, and if you're wondering which, keep reading.
To help you out, we'll show you the best websites that accept carrier billing, which you definitely want to know.
Table of Contents
What is Carrier Billing?
Direct Carrier Billing (DCB), or Direct Operator Billing (DOB), commonly known as carrier billing, is an online mobile payment system used for making purchases from third-party vendors of digital products by billing and charging the purchase amount to the user's mobile phone carrier bill.
It is usually used for making payments for services across media, including goods and services, charity, gaming, ticketing, mobility, and other digital services.
Popular operators like Verizon let you make purchases of up to $300 for digital content such as games, music, apps, and other digital content and services from participating merchants.
How Does Carrier Billing Work?
The way carrier billing work usually depends on the type of content that is offered by the merchant.
- The mobile content (Mobile Internet Billing) usually used a disclaimer.
- The web content (Web Billing) usually uses a PIN to approve the transaction.
However, regardless of the type of carrier bill offered, you can only use it if it is accepted by the website.
If you're shopping at a participating merchant, then there are greater chances that the website accepts carrier billing.
For a better understanding, here's a quick representation of how carrier billing work.
- At the checkout page of the merchant, you'll usually see an option related to "Carrier Billing" or "Direct Carrier Billing."
- Afterward, you'll be asked to provide your mobile phone number.
- Once you provide your number, you'll be sent an OTP or One-Time Passcode through SMS, which you'll use to authenticate the transaction.
- Once you authenticate the transaction through the OTP, the service provider usually checks with its partner mobile operators to make sure you're a subscriber.
- As soon as it receives confirmation, the service provider tells the merchant to proceed with the transaction and funds the merchant's account on a monthly basis.
- If everything goes well, you'll receive a confirmation SMS with the merchant's name and purchase amount.
10 Websites That Accept Carrier Billing
Unlike in previous years, there are many convenient payment methods available nowadays thanks to the constant improvement in modern technology.
There are many websites that accept carrier billing, and for sure, we can't list all of them — however, we've picked the best and most popular options and have highlighted them below.
- ESR TV.
- Facebook Games Marketplace.
- Microsoft Marketplace (including Xbox, Windows Store, and Microsoft 365).
- Mobile Giving Foundation.
- Riot Games.
- YouTube TV.
- Google Play.
1. ESR TV
ESR TV is an esports channel in the United States that is packed with and focuses on documentaries, comedies, talk shows, and live gaming tournaments that include the biggest games and names in esports.
ESR TV is one of the popular websites that accept carrier billing from popular carriers like Verizon, and paying through it is really simple.
2. Facebook Games Marketplace
Facebook Games Marketplace is more like an online store that features products for sale and to buy, with the difference that users can control and manage their own marketplace on their own.
The Facebook Games Marketplace usually comprises both new and used games and consoles that are available for sale, and any user looking to buy a game from the marketplace can use a variety of payment methods to make the purchase.
If you're looking to use Verizon carrier billing for purchasing games, then the Facebook Marketplace is the choice for you — since it is one of the best websites that accept carrier billing.
3. Microsoft Marketplace
The Microsoft Marketplace or Store is an online marketplace for consumers to buy and download a variety of items including apps, games, and other digital content.
The Microsoft Marketplace is another website that accepts carrier billing and it supports many carriers in many countries.
However, the Microsoft Marketplace only supports Verizon in the United States, as of this writing.
The table below features the different mobile operators that work with Microsoft Marketplace based on their countries.
|Austria||A1 Telekom, Hutchison 3G Austria, T-Mobile / tele.ring|
|Czechia||O2, T-Mobile, Vodafone|
|Denmark||3, TDC / YouSee, Telenor, Telia|
|France||Bouygues Telecom, Orange, SFR|
|Germany||O2, Telekom Deutschland, Vodafone|
|Hungary||Magyar Telekom, Telenor|
|Italy||Wind Tre, Vodafone|
|Korea||Korea Telecom, LG U+, SK Telecom|
|Netherlands||KPN / Telfort, Vodafone|
|Norway||Telenor / Talk more, Telia / OneCall|
|Poland||Orange, Play, T-Mobile|
|Singapore||M1 Limited, StarHub|
|Sweden||3, Tele2, Telenor|
|United Arab Emirates||Du, Etisalat|
|United Kingdom||EE, O2, Three UK, Vodafone|
Using carrier billing as a payment method in the Microsoft Marketplace is easy.
To do so:
- In Microsoft Store, select "Buy." If asked, sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Select Get Started! Add a way to pay or Change > Add a new payment method.
- Select "Mobile phone."
- Select your mobile operator from the list, enter your phone number, and then tap "Next."
- To make sure it's really you, we'll send you a code via text message. Enter the code and tap "Next."
- Check the terms and payment details, and then tap "Buy."
4. Mobile Giving Foundation
The Mobile Giving Foundation (MGF) is an organization that liaises between donors, non-profit organizations, ASPs (Application Service Providers), and mobile carriers to allow nonprofits to raise money through mobile devices.
The company has partnered with many leading mobile carriers and 6 top ASPs in the United States and is one of the websites that accept carrier billing.
While the ASPs help non-profit organizations raise money, the mobile carriers, on the other hand, process donations for free.
Pray.com is a Christian social networking service and mobile app that works as a social media platform for religious forums.
Pray.com offers social media, daily prayers, sermons, biblical content, prayer plans, Bedtime Bible Stories, podcasts, and more that would help you grow and maintain a great Christian life.
Pray.com partners with top carriers like Verizon and has become one of the websites that accept carrier billing through its website, phone bill, and on its mobile apps (through Google Play, iTunes & App Store).
6. Riot Games
Riot Games is a popular American video game developer, publisher, and esports tournament organizer.
If you're a gaming enthusiast, especially a PC gamer, you should know about Riot Games as they developed the most played PC game (League of Legends).
Riot Games is yet another website that accepts carrier billing as a payment method.
Also Read: Best Online/Offline Game Hacking Tools
With over 456 million monthly active users, Spotify is undoubtedly one of the leading audio streaming platforms in the market.
Besides being an audio streaming platform, Spotify is also a podcast and video service that serves millions of songs and related content to users
Spotify is one of the platforms that have achieved much by offering direct carrier billing as a payment method to subscribers — it helped them reduce marketing costs by leveraging the brand name of the local mobile operators, according to PYMNTS.com.
Telecoming is a popular sports technology company that specializes in sports enthusiasts' interests, by employing the development and distribution of mobile experiences for sports and entertainment.
Telecoming is one of the widely spread websites that accept carrier billing; — as of this writing, it works with 50 carriers worldwide including continents like Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and the Americas.
9. YouTube TV
With over 5 million users, YouTube TV is probably one of the best and most popular streaming services available in the market — which lets you stream live TV from the top broadcast and cable networks and streamed content is offered both in English and Spanish.
YouTube TV is another website on our list that accept carrier billing as the streaming platform lets Verizon 5G Home or Fios customers pay for their YouTube TV subscription.
10. Google Play
What place is best for getting the latest and top trending apps and games other than Google Play Store? Well, in my opinion, there's none.
Google Play, also known as Google Play Store, is an online store powered by Google and is the most trusted source for getting Android digital content including apps, games, books, movies, and many more.
It is the famous Android Market that's being used by all Android users for downloading and updating content.
While most content on Google Play is free, the popular Android app store also features paid content, which can be purchased through different payment methods including, credit/debit cards, PayPal, Google Play credit, and even carrier billing.
While Google Play is one of the mobile websites that accept carrier billing as a payment method, it only works with a few participating carriers including Boost Mobile, Sprint, T-Mobile, and US Cellular — unlike other options on this list that accept Verizon carrier billing.
Also Read: How To Make Money From Google Play Store
Benefits of Using Carrier Billing for Payments
Carrier billing comes with useful benefits that help in the maintenance of a stable financial, which might vary depending on the service provider.
Some of the benefits of using carrier billing for payments include;
- Quick and easy payment process, without sharing sensitive details (such as credit card number or account details).
- Ideal for both one-time purchases and subscriptions.
- End users are protected and service compliance is assured with fraud prevention and monitoring.
Does Amazon Accept Carrier Billing?
Yes, Amazon does accept carrier billing as a payment method.
Adding carrier billing as a payment method is very easy as follows;
- Login to your account and go to the "Payment Option."
- Select "Add a new account from Mobile Carrier Billing."
- Select your carrier and account type from the list.
- Tap "Continue."
- Once you're redirected to the mobile phone carrier's site, complete the account registration following the instructions.
- When you add Mobile Carrier Billing as a payment method, you should see a "Payment method added" message. If you see an "Authorization failed" message, remove the payment method or retry authorization.
How To Buy Gift Cards With Direct Carrier Billing
There are many gift card vendors that accept carrier billing as a payment method — all you need to do is to check if the gift card vendor accepts carrier billing — check from their FAQs page.
For instance, Joom, a gift card selling site, lets people buy gift cards with direct carrier billing.
To buy gift cards with direct carrier billing from Joom:
- Go to the Joom gift card catalog and select the gift card you want to buy.
- Select the color you want and click on "Add to cart" or "Buy now" to proceed.
- On the next page, you'll have the option to add a promo code if you have one.
- In case you don't have one, click on the Buy button to proceed.
- You'll need to create your account in the next step.
- After creating your account, you'll need to add direct carrier billing as your payment method.
- Finally, complete the payment.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enable carrier billing on Play Store?
To enable carrier billing on Play Store, go to your payment methods in Google Play. Tap "Add a payment method." Choose the payment method you want to add (in which case is carrier billing). Follow the on-screen instructions.
How do I enable carrier billing on my iPhone?
On your iPhone, go to settings, tap on your Apple ID, and select Payment & Shipping. You might be asked to sign in. Tap "Add Payment Method." Select Mobile Phone and tap "Done."
Who accepts direct carrier billing UK?
There are a couple of sites that accept carrier billing in the UK. You just need to check your favorite site to see if they do. In case they do, then it should be possible that they accept popular mobile carriers like Vodafone, O2, EE, and Three.
While technology has come with more interesting payment methods, using direct carrier billing for completing purchases never hurts, especially for those living in undeveloped and developing areas.
Carrier billing is rapidly growing to become one of the preferred payment methods by most people nowadays.
If you've always wanted to use carrier billing to pay for digital content, then this guide should help you decide where to pay using carrier billing.