If your Cash App was hacked and you're wondering what to do in order to recover your funds, then you're at the right place.
Cash App is a popular financial app that counts millions of monthly active users according to statistics.
Cash App is a well-known P2P payment service that lets users instantly send and receive money online. The Cash App also offers lots of helping features such as the borrow feature which lets eligible users borrow money from Cash App.
Over the past years, the platform has brough new features and enhanced security measures to keep users finances safe from hackers.
Though Cash App seems secure when sending money, the platform isn't as safe as you might think. It just take's a little mistake of yours for a hacker to get access to your account and steal your money.
Keeping your account login credential safe from malicious persons is the step to take in order to keep your account secure.
However, if you mistakenly disclosed your account credentials and your Cash App got hacked, there are still some few things to do to try recover your funds.
That said, this article focuses on showing you what to do if your Cash App was hacked.
Table of Contents
Can Someone Hack My Account On Cash App?
Of course yes, someone can hack your account on Cash App.
Cash App uses an advanced fraud detection system, encryption and security to keep users accounts safe from hackers attempting to still them.
But, no matter how hard Cash App works to keep accounts safe, users still disclose their account details which might lead to their account getting hacked.
If you disclose any important information concerning your account through social media or phishing mails, chances for your account getting hacked will be really high.
A hacker can't easily get access to your account if they just have your $Cashtag or username since these details are used for receiving money through the Cash App.
However, hackers can still use these details to get additional information to facilitate their access to your account.
To learn more, checkout how can someone hack your Cash App with your name, username or $Cashtag.
Also Read: What Cards Work With Cash App?
My Cash App Was Hacked What Do I Do?
If your Cash App account got hacked, though there's not much you can do on your side to recover it, getting in touch with both Cash App support and your financial institution can safe your finances.
Cash App hacks and scams are not uncommon and being aware of what strategies hackers use to get users credentials in order to gain access to their accounts can be vital for every Cash App user.
A hacker wouldn't go any further if he has just your $Cashtag or username. But, if he has your email, he can send you fraudulent emails with phishing links which once clicked, will take you to a phishing site asking you to verify some details about your account.
You'll be asked to provide your Cash App login details, bank account or debit card. Once you provide them, consider your account as hacked.
If you notice this mistake of yours quickly, chances are, you can easily get back your funds.
You have three options for getting your money back if hacked; — contacting Cash App support, Dispute a Transaction and contacting your financial institution.
1. Contact Cash App Support
Contacting Cash App support is the first thing you should consider doing when your money has been stolen from the platform.
Though Cash App support might not be of great help to recover your funds, they can guide you with steps to take to recover them.
Here's how to contact Cash App support
- On your smart device, log into your Cash App (since your account was hacked, you'll need to use a new one).
- Look for a circular icon that corresponds to your profile. It should be at the top left corner of the app's home screen.
- Tap it then scroll down to "Cash App Support."
- Tap it and then scroll down the menu until you reach "Something Else" at the bottom.
- Tap it and choose the closest topic related to your problem.
- Tap "Contact Support" at the bottom of the screen. This will allow you to request a response from a customer service representative by email or phone call. You'll be contacted within 24 hours of submitting the request.
- Confirm your contact information then explain your problem in detail in the designated space.
- Tap "Continue." You'll receive a confirmation notification.
You can also contact Cash App support via phone at 1 (800) 969-1940.
Also Read: Can You Get Scammed On Cash App Sugar Daddy?
2. Dispute the Transaction
Filing a dispute for a fraudulent transaction can also help you recover your funds.
This method, however, works best when the thieves use your Cash App to shop at a merchant.
Here's how to file a dispute on Cash App.
- Tap the "Activity" tab on your Cash App home screen
- Select the transaction in question and tap the … in the top right corner of the screen
- Select "Need Help & Cash App Support."
- Tap "Dispute this Transaction."
3. Contact Your Financial Institution
The last thing you can do if the other methods don't work is to contact your financial institution and reporting a fraudulent activity on your account and seeking for their help in recovering your funds.
If your Cash App is linked to your bank account, go to your bank and request to get in touch with their fraud department. Once in touch with them, explain everything that happened and that you'll want to to help you recover your funds.
You'll surely be asked to provide additional information to verify that you're the owner of the account in question. They'll investigate and hopefully get your money back.
How to Keep My Cash App Account Safe from Hackers
The first layer of security for your account is you. If you get tricked by a hacker, they'll access your account in no time and rapidly steal your finances.
Keeping your account information safe from hackers is vital.
Here are some practices to keeping your account safe from hackers.
- Never share your sign-in code or PIN with anyone.
- Never give your email and phone number to strangers.
- Make sure your Cash App password is different from your email password.
- Make sure your Cash App and email passwords are strong enough.
- Don't click suspicious links or pop-ups.
- Don't download suspicious apps.
- Always remember to use a screen lock on your smart devices.
- Don't converse with strangers on the Cash App.
- Don't share sensitive information with anyone claiming to be customer service. Cash App representatives will never ask for your sign-in code, PIN, or any critical information such as your social security number or full card number.
Cash App is a popular P2P payment service that lets users instantly send and receive money online.
Because transfers through the app are instant, it is important to keep your account details safe since a hacker can access your account and send funds to his account instantly if he is provided the necessary information for accessing your account.
Though sharing information such as $Cashtag and username is without risks, it is however, important to share them only with those that you trust.
If your account got hacked, you can follow the ways shown in this article to recover your funds.