Looking for the best Google Voice alternative? This is probably because you attempted to register in the service and you got rejected. Why? The main reason for you looking for an alternative of Google voice is because Google voice is not available in your country.
This is a sad situation for those leaving out of the 11 countries where Google voice is made available since, we all know the advantages that are involved when you have a Google voice number mainly in the US. Google voice is free in the United States and you can get a number for free without paying anything but however, in the other 10 countries where Google voice is available, the residents are to be part of the Google Workspace with a license before being permitted to get a Google voice number.
Recently in May 2020, Google Voice services was made a available in Canada and now, Canadians can setup Google Voice and get a US virtual phone number but that will not be free because unlike the US residents and just as the residents of the other countries, Canadians will need to subscribe to a have a license in Google Workspace before being part of the Google Voice show.
Because it is a free and easy to use product, many freelancers, bloggers and even small businesses and startups use this service as their business phone to easily manage their customers.
The best ever way to get a Google Voice number for free is from the US and, for non residents, there are always ways to go through the rules set by Google and get a free Google Voice number from outside the US. We made this bypass tricks clear here and it can be used by anyone in any country to get a Google Voice number.
Google Voice is a well known popular Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service that has been leading in this category of app industry. Just as other applications, there are many apps that are similar to Google Voice in the market and compete with this VoIP app in this industry. Having a Google Voice alternative is even good since they give you most features offered by Google Voice.
Depending on the alternative, there may be both free and paid apps similar to Google Voice in the market and the figure of this one increases every year as we discover new VoIP innovating each year.
Choosing the right Google Voice alternative for your business could be a major advancement to take your business to the next level. Besides, Google Voice is not mainly for business use. Even Google Voice support mentioned that. So, an alternative in the case for business owners will be a key to improve communication with your customers.
That said, this guide compiles the best Google Voice alternatives (free and paid) that you can find in the market and that you can use to manage your business (customers and team employees) and also, for your personal use.
What is Google Voice and How Does it Works?
Google Voice is a telephone service that provides a U.S. phone number to Google Account customers in the U.S. and Google Works customers in Canada, Denmark, France, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Just as VoIP services, Google Voice uses an Internet connection (Wi-Fi or data plan) to make phone calls and send text messages. No landline is required for the app to work. If you have an Internet connection and a device that is connected to the Internet (cell phone, laptop, computer, or other mobile device), you can use Google Voice. Google Voice is a free services that lets you make free calls just by signing up with an email address.
CHECK ALSO: How to Setup Google Voice in Canada for Free
What to Know About Google Voice
If you just launch a small business or something similar to a startup, it will be a good thing to go in for Google Voice because it is free and will let you save extra cash. In the long run as your business grows, there are many limitations that you will come to notice when using the free and even some paid tiers of Google Voice. Some of these limitations you should know about Google Voice include;
- Can't signup outside of the U.S.
- No customer support from Google
- No auto-attendant or IVR features
- No toll-free numbers or vanity numbers
- You can't share your business phone number with your team or group.
- No call recording for Google Workspace accounts (accounts out of the US)
- Really quality of calls
Somewhat, you will want a phone number that can take into consideration what you want as your business grows. Business owners will like to have a business phone service that allows you to easily reach out to customers and preserve your personal phone number from work-related phone calls or text messages.
Searching for a Google Voice alternative on the internet, other VoIP services will give you more extended features. Even searches on Reddit and Quora will show almost same results for many different Google Voice alternatives. So keep in mind that you're not the only one looking for a Google Voice alternative even at the present date.
18 Best Google Voice Alternatives | Apps/Sites Like Google Voice (Free & Paid)
Ranging as the most similar app to Google Voice, Grasshopper one of best free Google Voice alternative in the market. Ideal small businesses, it provides virtual phone numbers to communicate with customers the easiest way. The professional phone number Grasshopper offers can be used on existing cell phones or landlines.
- Provides a comprehensive view of business interactions across multiple channels.
- You can make and receive calls using a desktop or mobile application.
- This tool converts voice messages to text so that you can read them without listening to them.
- It allows you to professionally record messages that salute your customers.
- You can reply by SMS on your office number.
- It allows you to send a fax as a PDF attachment from your email.
Ideal for startups and small businesses, OpenPhone is one of the best alternatives for Google Voice with paid features that are useful for business owners and have some similarities to Google Voice. Their prices are however the cheapest you can find in the market and their services are top notched with real-time management of customers both on mobile and desktop with their cross-platform apps.
With OpenPhone, multiple members of your team can access a shared business phone number and collaborate on conversations. Just as Google Voice, there are ring groups - that is; calls can easily be routed and forwarded to the right team or person.
- U.S. and international calling — with unlimited calling and text messaging in the U.S. and Canada
- Can set business hours
- Voicemail transcription
- Auto-attendant (IVR)
- Crystal-clear audio quality
- Multiple phone numbers can be associated to one account
- Has cross-platform apps that can work on iPhones, Android phones, desktops, and web browsers
- Dedicated customer support
Phone is another great alternative to Google Voice and a virtual software that you can use to get a virtual phone number for your business. Just as OpenPhone ahead, Phone lets you transfer your number from other phone service to their platform. The fees for this number transfer will depend on your previous phone service. For instance, Google charges a one-time $3 fee to transfer or port your number away from Google Voice to another phone service. It allows you to block calls by adding the number in your phone account.
- You can get a notification on every occasion you get incoming calls.
- It permits you to forward or route calls depending on the time and day a call is received.
- Easily synchronize your address book with their Phone application.
- It permits you to customize your calls with messages, greetings, voices, and music.
- SMS can be sent and received on any local number.
- Phone.com lets you create and arrange your businesses and extensions.
- You can set your very own precise caller ID.
CHECK ALSO: Best Virtual Phone Number Provider Apps
Nextiva is a well known VoIP phone service that has been in the market for sometime now. It supports calls in the United States and Canada. It is an ideal choice for small businesses and startups because it has business communication features that Google Voice does not have; such as - auto-attendant and customer support.
If you have been looking for the best alternatives to Google Voice on the internet then you certainly must have seen Hushed. As on of the perfect competitors of Google Voice, Hush provides a phone number that lets you do calls, send pictures, and text messaging through their mobile application. With Hush, your real phone number is kept private and separate from your business. It has automated messages that respond to text messages received on this number.
- It allows you to add and manage multiple numbers.
- You can easily access your number using the Wi-Fi / data connection.
- It helps you to keep your conversation private and secure.
- You can record and personalize the your voicemail.
- It allows you to easily divert a call.
- You can easily integrate the Hushed application with DropBox or Slack.
Hushed is currently on promotion offering a lifetime second phone number at just $25. Go grab this offer before it expires
CHECK ALSO: Get a Free US Phone Number From Outside the US
Known as one of the best alternatives for Google Voice in the market, MightyCall is a virtual phone system purposely designed for small businesses. They let you to call and receive calls on the device of your choice. It allows you to reject the call, accept it or send it to voicemail.
MightyCall helps you define your flow with a clear, conversational graphic. It gives you a complete history of your communications to easily pin point some calls that may be relevant and useful for every situations. MightyCall helps you run your business even after hours.
- Unlimited calls can be made with this phone service.
- It lets you to forward calls to any device.
- Easily select a tool-free or area code without paying a penny as additional charges.
- With this software, you can record a call.
- MightyCall allows you to listen to voicemail messages and receive notifications.
- It allows you to consult your voicemail.
- Easily Make and receive calls from your PC with the help of a softphone.
Join us on Telegram for more exclusive tutorials and updates
Talk to us on Facebook.
ConXhub is an intuitive business phone system. It is a very advanced business phone system that lets users to easily create multiple profiles and numbers. You can also call and receive calls from different numbers.
- Offers calls in the highest HD quality
- You can forward calls to cell phones or any phone around the Globe
- You can get a free, local or international phone number from any country you want
CHECK ALSO: How to Get an Australian Virtual Phone Number
VirtualPBX is a virtual phone communication system that helps you monitor real-time calls. VirtualPBX provides Automatic Call Distribution that lets you easily manage call traffic for a specific department.
- Their app supports audio conferencing.
- You can redirect calls to any device you want.
- Provides Salesforce CRM (Customer Relationship Management) integration.
- You can call directly from your web browser.
- It has a status indicator that helps you know the status of the VirtualPBX platform.
- On Web phone, you can access your call history with VirtualPBX.
Talkroute is another virtual phone number service that lets you make and receive business calls with less effort. This app provides a variety of numbers depending on your business. It allows you to route calls anywhere. Talkroute can be used to send text messages to your clients. It offers easy to manage voice messages.
- It allows you to record incoming and outgoing calls.
- Provides detailed historical reports.
- You can personalize your welcome message.
- Offers 3 or 4 digit direct dial extensions.
- Easily send and receive both SSM and MMS.
- You can set the time at which your phone can be reachable.
- Helps you manage permissions and user accounts.
- TalkRoute is easily accessible from Android or iOS phones.
CallHippo is another great Google Voice alternative that provides virtual phone services that can easily be managed with none hassle. It allows you to integrate with over a hundred tools. This carrier issuer allows startup and agencies to have a local number from over 50+ countries. It gives smooth to apply interface and a strong backend facility to setup a customer service center.
- CallHippo lets you make calls directly from your browser.
- It allows you to quickly get local phone numbers.
- It supports call forwarding, recording and queuing.
- CallHippo eases the collaboration between you and your team.
- The app lets you interact with callers, collect information, and forward calls to the right person.
Aircall is another great phone tool on the list and a cloud-based call center and ranges among the best Google Voice alternative. Just as Google Voice, Aircall phone services are free and this lets Aircall claim its place as a great competitor of the Google product. As a similar app to Google Voice, Aircall has been one of the top competing phone service apps with Google Voice. Aircall comes with Cloud Telephony Integrations (CTI) with Helpdesk software and CRM.
- It is one of the free alternatives to google voice which allows you to create numbers in over 100 countries.
- You can integrate it into your current CRM (Customer Relationship Management).
- It provides a graphical view of who is calling.
- You can set up a smart directory that automatically helps callers to the right team.
- Aircall offers support for conference calls.
- You can set up personalized calling schedules based on your working hours.
- Aircall allows you to share content with your team.
RingCentral is a tool that provides cloud-based collaboration and ease communications for businesses. It helps you serve better with all-in-one video conferencing, cloud phone, group messaging, etc.
- Provides call forwarding function.
- This tool offers High Definition video quality and web conferencing.
- You can host up to 100 participants in an online meeting.
- Manage incoming and outgoing faxes online.
- RingCentral is available in over 100 countries with local dial plans and international virtual numbers.
- Allows you to share files and some file tasks online.
CHECK ALSO: How to Get a Netherland Virtual Phone Number
JustCall is an online phone system that allows businesses to get phone numbers in over 60 countries. You can use JustCall to make and receive calls from a computer or desktop computer with a web browser.
- Easily send and receive text messages (SMS) via the Justcall phone number.
- It permits you to port your phone number from one phone services to JustCall.
- JustCall lets you setup distribution or routing policies for phone numbers.
- JustCall lets you collaborate together along with your group with phone numbers you can assign to the team, reading logs of calls, and recording.
- You can forward calls to your employees.
- It gives complete information on the calls like date, time, duration, and caller ID.
Godaddy is one of the world leading fintech companies that provides hosting solutions to website developers, bloggers and business owners. Godaddy integrated SmartLine as a product that will help businesses to better manage their customers by personalizing their phone number to their taste. Godaddy offers a local number at $9.99/Mo and a toll-free number at $19.99/Mo.
SmartLine also allows you to set business hours and calls will be forwarded to your phone only during business hours.
SmartLine has an excellent characteristic of the transcription of the voice message and is ideal for entrepreneurs who need a professional number that will help them on the balance of professional life!
CHECK ALSO: How to Get a Canadian Virtual Phone Number
Burner is another great phone service that defends its name. It is a phone burner app. The old times where burner phones were purchased at dollar stores are gone. Since the evolution of mobile phones, you can now get a burner number directly on your phone with a burner application.
With the burner app, you can create and delete many numbers within the same burner app. keeping your real phone number safe and secure. Burner doesn't used your real number for making calls though this number is required when opening your burner account. This is an anti-spam feature present in burner apps.
Should it be the case that you want Google Voice to make calls with a virtual phone number that that has nothing to do with your real phone number, then, Burner is the best choice you can go in for.
CHECK ALSO: How to Get a Business Phone Number
16. Text Free
Using Google Voice to get an additional number? Then, you gonna love Text Free. You must have heard about Text Free when looking for the best free Google Voice alternative as it you pick a phone number with their own area code and send calls and text messages to any other number for free. It serves as a second phone with a separate number on the same mobile device.
To get place calls with Text Free, you will need to watch some ads that will add you some minutes during your calls. That's just how the Text Free works. While this can be time-consuming compared to Google Voice, it's however, remains a great alternative for those who don’t have Google Voice and aren’t able to sign up for the service. If you don't want to waste time watching video ads for free minutes, you just need to purchase the minutes as you will normally do with a prepaid phone.
Though similar to Text Free and Google Voice offering the same features, TextNow offers some few additional features that could improve your experience with virtual phone service. TextNow gives you a free phone number for calling and texting and just as some apps on this list, TextNow is one of the best free Google Voice alternatives you can find in the market. If you want a video call option instead of just calling and texting, this should be your app of choice.
Google Voice does have a video calling feature, but only a few apps have that feature on your mobile device. For instance, alternatives such as Skype and Zoom will require the end-user (receiver) to have the same application installed.
TextNow video calling feature is great for those that do not have Facetime that need this features alongside some traditional calling features such as a phone number with calling and texting.
Skype is a well known communication app that makes video conferencing an easy to do task. Similar to Zoom, this Google Voice alternative is ideal for both individuals and businesses to better organize their conferences online and share important information without leaving their homes.
Skype offer premium business numbers that can be forwarded to your phone number, voicemail or even directly answered on Skype. You can attach a maximum of 10 numbers to your account and as such, different numbers can be forwarded to different sets of people.
Just as the other apps, Skype app allows you to better manage these numbers on a single mobile device. However, Skype has more name credibility for professional business use than others.
CHECK ALSO: How to Get a Ireland Virtual Phone Number
Which Factors Should be Considered when Selecting a Google Voice Alternative?
There are many factors that you should consider when selecting an alternative to Google Voice. The alternative should be credible and offer at least the same features as Google Voice to be its competitor. Some of the factors to be considered are as follows:
- Call quality.
- Auto-attendant (IVR) feature.
- Multimedia messaging feature.
- Works in the US and internationally.
- They have dedicated customer support.
- Hardware/Software Requirements.
- License Cost, if applicable.
- Support and Update the policy of tool vendor.
- Reviews of the company.
Will Google Voice Be Discontinued?
This question often arises and it is due to the fact that a major Google product, Google Hangouts, which is a well known messaging app was discontinued by Google in favor of other team services. Google is known for cancelling their services even if it already has valuable amount of based users. One good thing is, they may cancel a service for a better one.
Though Google doesn't have any plan to discontinue Google Voice, they however invest on a new service known as Google Fi.
Google Fi is a paid phone service with similar functions as Google Voice. Because of their similarities, there are numerous individuals who suppose Google will less regard Google Voice in a closer future. While Google hasn’t formally commented on the future of Google Voice, keep in mind that their support for the service might be canceled at any moment.
All this shows why it is important to get a Google Voice alternative right away whether it is free or paid, you business will not afford to lose its number hosted on Google Voice if at all this product of Google shuts down.
Final Thoughts on Best Google Voice Alternatives [Free & Paid]
Google Voice is a well known Voice over Internet Protocol service that provides virtual phone numbers to residents of the US and other supported countries by the service. Google Voice may become limited in terms of features for business owners and to get the best out of your customers, you need a Google Voice alternative with advanced feature.
Depending on the similar app to Google Voice, there are some free and paid apps that will provide you phone numbers based on the reason why you need the phone number. Read the description of each service and checkout customer reviews to know if the phone service is worth it. On this list, we have provided the best free and paid alternatives of Google Voice that may suite any need (for personal or professional use).
Make sure the Google Voice alternative you choose is compatible with your device and offers at least the same features as Google Voice. The alternative that provides the features you need should be the one you should go in for.
Join us on Telegram for more exclusive tutorials and updates
Talk to us on Facebook.