In today's digital landscape, the ability to split the cost of purchase through Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL) services like Afterpay has become an increasingly popular trend in the e-commerce space.
If you're an avid Target shopper, looking to split the cost of your purchases into different installments, you may be wondering whether Target takes Afterpay.
Target has embraced a couple of BNPL service providers to offer customers the convenience and flexibility they need during checkout.
But is Afterpay one of those BNPL services accepted at Target? Let's find out.
Table of Contents
Does Target Take Afterpay?
Yes, Target does take Afterpay as a payment method for all eligible online orders.
This means that you can shop at Target and split your payment into four interest-free installments, making it easier to manage your budget.
Remember, you can only use Afterpay for your online orders at Target.com and through the Target app. Target stores do not accept Afterpay as a payment method so don't expect to see an Afterpay logo at Target stores.
How To Use Afterpay At Target
Now we know Target lets you split the cost of your purchases into four fee-free installments which you can pay over time, let's see how you can use Afterpay at Target.
- Shop Online: Visit the Target website or use the Target app to browse and select the items you wish to purchase.
- Add to Cart: Add the desired items to your shopping cart.
- Checkout: Proceed to the checkout page and select Afterpay as your payment method.
- Afterpay Account: If you already have an Afterpay account, log in and complete your checkout. If you are new to Afterpay, you can sign up while you checkout with Target by following the prompts. Afterpay's approval process is quick, and you'll know if you've been approved within seconds.
- Split Payment: Afterpay will split your total purchase amount into four equal installments. You will pay the first installment at the time of purchase, and the remaining three installments will be automatically deducted from your chosen payment method every two weeks.
- Enjoy Your Purchase: Once your order is confirmed, you can enjoy your Target purchase while spreading out the payments over time.
Should You Use Afterpay At Target?
Whether or not you should use Afterpay at Target depends on several factors, so there's no one-size-fits-all answer. Here's a breakdown to help you decide:
Pros of Using Afterpay at Target
- Splitting Cost: Break down large purchases into manageable installments, making them more affordable.
- Budgeting Tool: Plan your spending by choosing a repayment schedule that fits your budget.
- Convenience: Enjoy a quick and easy checkout experience without needing credit card information at checkout.
- Target-specific benefits: Some Target locations offer exclusive discounts or promotions for Afterpay users.
Cons of Using Afterpay at Target
- Interest and fees: Afterpay charges late fees and interest on larger purchases over time, adding to the overall cost.
- The temptation to overspend: BNPL can make it easier to overspend, especially with impulsive buys.
- Minimum purchase requirement: Most Target locations have a minimum purchase amount to use Afterpay (often $35).
- Not available everywhere: Not all Target stores offer Afterpay, so check before you shop.
Before you decide:
- Assess your budget: Can you comfortably afford the monthly repayments, including interest and fees?
- Consider alternatives: Are there other payment methods at Target that might be more cost-effective, like the RedCard with its rewards?
- Shop responsibly: Avoid impulse buys and stick to your shopping list to prevent overspending.
Ultimately, the decision to use Afterpay at Target is a personal one. Weigh the pros and cons carefully, understand the risks, and prioritize responsible spending.
What Other Payment Methods Does Target Accept?
Target accepts many other payment methods, besides Afterpay to cater to all customer's needs.
Here's a comprehensive list of both online and in-store payments accepted at Afterpay.
- Cash: The classic and universal option, ideal for exact change or when contactless payments aren't available.
- Credit and Debit Cards: Target accepts most major credit and debit cards, including Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, and Target credit cards (RedCard, Debit Card, Mastercard).
- Gift Cards: Target Gift Cards, eGift Cards, and mobile Target Gift Cards are a convenient way to pay, offer great gift options, and let you manage your budget.
- EBT Cards: Target accepts Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards for eligible food and beverage purchases.
- Checks: Target still accepts checks at most in-store locations, though electronic verification is used for faster processing.
- Target Wallet: This handy app combines Target Circle offers, coupons, and RedCard benefits, and even stores cash withdrawals (for Target Debit Card) into one mobile payment system.
- Credit and Debit Cards: Same as in-store, most major credit and debit cards are accepted for online purchases.
- EBT Card: Target accepts SNAP EBT card payments online.
- PayPal: This popular digital wallet makes online checkout quick and secure.
- Target RedCard: RedCard holders can enjoy the additional perks of their loyalty program while shopping online.
- Target Express Checkout: Save your preferred payment information for even faster online checkouts.
- Affirm, Sezzle, PayPal Pay in 4, Klarna, and Zip: These buy-now, pay-later options allow you to split your purchase into installments, providing budgeting flexibility.
- Third-party gift cards: Target accepts gift cards from popular brands like American Express, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
Target has embraced the convenience and flexibility of BNPL services such as Afterpay.
So whether you're shopping for household essentials, clothing, or electronics, Afterpay provides a budget-friendly solution for making your Target purchases. Next time you shop at Target, take advantage of Afterpay and enjoy the flexibility it offers.