Gift cards are becoming increasingly popular nowadays. In fact, it is the universally adored present that grants the freedom to choose.
But having many gift cards at hand is more like carrying a chunk of cards in your wallet—and you can agree with me that you won't be able to use all of these gift cards especially if you need to consolidate them for a specific transaction.
Luckily, Apple Wallet offers a sleek and convenient solution—storing your gift cards digitally for contactless payments and easy access.
In this article, we'll see how to add a gift card to your Apple Wallet, whether physical cards, digital codes, or store-specific offerings.
Table of Contents
Can I Add Gift Cards To Apple Wallet?
Apple Wallet is more like a financial warehouse that stores your financial details such as your credit and debit card details. It's compatible with a few gift cards.
Simply put, you can add gift cards to your Apple Wallet, provided the wallet supports your gift cards.
How To Add Gift Cards To Apple Wallet
Apple Wallets supports a variety of gift cards including physical and digital gift cards. Let's see how you can add each type to your Apple Wallet.
Adding Physical Gift Cards To Apple Wallet
If you're carrying along a physical gift card, you can add it to your Apple Wallet for seamless transactions.
To do so:
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap the plus sign (+) in the top right corner.
- Choose "Scan Code" to activate your camera.
- Position the physical gift card within the camera frame.
- Ensure the QR code is clearly visible.
- Your device will automatically scan the code and recognize the gift card information.
- Tap "Add" to finalize.
Adding Digital Gift Codes To Apple Wallet
If you have a digital gift card code instead, you can also add it to your Apple Wallet.
To do so:
- Locate the 16-digit gift card code, usually found on your email or receipt.
- Go back to the Wallet app and tap the plus sign (+). This time, select "Enter Code Manually."
- Carefully enter the gift card code without errors. Tap "Next" to proceed.
- Review the information for accuracy.
- If everything looks good, tap "Add" to claim your digital bounty.
Adding Store-Specific Gift Cards To Apple Wallet
If you have store-specific gift cards and wondering whether it is compatible with Apple Wallet, there's a way to add them to Apple Wallet whether it is compatible with the wallet or not.
To do so:
- Download the store's app that issued the gift card.
- Sign in or create an account if necessary.
- Locate the section within the app dedicated to managing gift cards. This might be labeled "Wallet," "Rewards," or something similar.
- Look for an option to "Add Gift Card" or "Link to Apple Wallet."
- Follow the on-screen prompts, which may involve entering the gift card code or scanning a QR code within the app.
Can I Add Apple Gift Cards To Apple Pay?
No, you cannot directly add Apple gift cards to Apple Pay. Apple Pay is designed for credit, debit, and prepaid cards issued by banks and other financial institutions, while Apple gift cards are store credit and are not linked to any bank accounts.
However, there is a way to use your Apple gift card balance with Apple Pay:
- Redeem your Apple gift card to your Apple ID balance. You can do this by opening the App Store app, tapping on your account icon, and then selecting "Redeem Gift Card or Code." Enter the code from your Apple gift card and tap "Redeem."
- Once your Apple gift card balance is added to your Apple ID, you can use it to make purchases with Apple Pay. Just make sure you have enough balance to cover the cost of your purchase.
How To Add A Visa Gift Card To Apple Wallet
If your Visa gift card is eligible, you can add it to your Apple Wallet whether it is a digital or physical gift card as shown above.
Can I Add A Vanilla Visa Gift Card To Apple Wallet?
Yes, you can add a Vanilla Visa gift card to your Apple Wallet.
Why Can't I Add Gift Cards To Apple Wallet?
There are several reasons why you might not be able to add a gift card to your Apple Wallet. Here are some possibilities:
1. Incompatible Gift Card:
- Not Wallet-eligible: Not all gift cards work with Apple Wallet. Check if the retailer is listed on Apple's "Wallet-eligible apps" page. Some examples of compatible stores include Starbucks, Nike, and Sephora.
- Store-specific app required: Some stores require adding their gift cards through their own apps first before linking them to Apple Wallet.
2. Incorrect Adding Method:
- Wrong scan: Ensure the QR code is clean and positioned correctly within the camera frame.
- Typing errors: Double-check the gift card code for accuracy when entering it manually.
- Outdated software: Update your iPhone or iPad to the latest iOS version for optimal compatibility.
3. Technical Issues:
- Connectivity problems: Weak Wi-Fi or cellular data can disrupt the adding process. Try again in a better signal area.
- Temporary glitches: Restart your iPhone or iPad and attempt to add the card again. Contact Apple support if the issue persists.
- Check card validity: Confirm the gift card isn't expired or already used.
- Contact the issuer: If none of the above solutions work, reach out to the store or issuer of the gift card for further assistance.
As an iOS user, you should know how important the Apple Wallet is for managing your financial information. It lets you add your debit and credit card information—and also, lets you add your gift cards for seamless transactions.
Adding a gift card to Apple Wallet can be a convenient way to keep all your cards in one place for easy access. However, the ability to add gift cards to Apple Wallet depends on the type of gift card and its compatibility with Apple Pay.